Cleaning up your home before putting up Halloween decorations is a great way to ensure your spooky décor stands out and your space looks its best. Here are some ways to help prepare your home for the spookiest season of the year!
1. Declutter: Start by decluttering the area where you plan to decorate. Remove any unnecessary items or clutter that might get in the way of your decorations. This will also give you a clean canvas to work with. Make sure to put away any old or other seasonal decorations as you go.
2. Dusting: Dust all surfaces, including shelves, mantels, tabletops, and any decorations you plan to reuse. A microfiber cloth or a duster works well for this task. Dusting ensures your decorations look their best and don’t collect dust during the Halloween season. Make sure you pick up items as you work dusting beneath to get all those tricky dust bunnies.
4. Clean Windows and Mirrors: For a crystal-clear backdrop, clean your windows and mirrors. Use a glass cleaner and a lint-free cloth to remove smudges and streaks. Clear windows will allow natural light to shine on your decorations and make them more visible.
5. Wipe Down Surfaces: Use a gentle all-purpose cleaner or a solution of water and vinegar to wipe down surfaces like countertops, tables, and shelves. Pay special attention to high-touch areas like doorknobs and light switches, ensuring they are clean and free of fingerprints.
6. Check for Cobwebs: Inspect corners and ceiling areas for cobwebs and spiders. Remove any real cobwebs with a duster or a long-handled broom. If you have decorative fake cobwebs from previous Halloweens, consider removing them and starting fresh. As spooky as spider webs are, keep in mind they can accumulate a lot of dust. To clean your fake cob webs that might’ve gotten some dust in storage a lint roller or duster will do the trick.
9. Organize Decor Supplies: Gather all your Halloween decorations, ensuring you have everything you need. Organize them by category or theme, so it’s easy to find what you’re looking for when decorating. Wrap any cords for electronics so you don’t have the hassle of tangled bundles.
10. Prepare Decorative Surfaces: If you’re hanging or attaching decorations to specific surfaces, clean those surfaces before attaching them. This ensures that decorations adhere properly and won’t fall off due to dust or grime.
Cleaning up before putting up Halloween decorations not only enhances the visual appeal of your decor but also contributes to safety, durability, and the overall atmosphere of the holiday. It’s a proactive step that ensures your Halloween decorating experience is as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible. Now get those skeletons and ghouls ready and enjoy the holiday season!