Having a clean environment is important not only to our physical, but mental health as well. But once you’ve scrubbed those walls and dusted those lamps it’s also essential to declutter your space and organize your things! Trust us, its therapeutic once you’re in the swing of things. Here are some tricks to help get you in the right mind set so you can go on your organizing journey- and who knows what you’ll find!
- Declutter: Start by decluttering your space. Remove items that you no longer use, need, or love. Be honest with yourself about what you truly need and what is just taking up valuable space. Think of Marie Kondo, what ‘sparks joy’? Is this something you use, or is it just taking up storage space for no reason?
- Categorize: Sort your belongings into categories. Group similar items together, such as clothing, books, kitchen utensils, electronics, etc. This will make it easier to see what you have and help you decide how to organize them effectively. It can also help to group things together so you can prioritize what’s best to keep around the house and what’s out dated and old.
- Create Zones: Assign specific zones or areas for different activities or items. For example, have a designated workspace, a relaxation corner, a storage area, etc. This will help you maintain order and make it easier to find and put away things.
- Utilize Storage Solutions: Invest in suitable storage solutions that fit your needs and space. Utilize bins, baskets, shelves, drawers, and other organizers to keep your items in place and easily accessible. Clear containers can be helpful to see what’s inside.
- Use Vertical Space: Maximize your storage space by using vertical space. Install shelves or hanging organizers on walls to free up floor space. Consider using vertical storage solutions like bookshelves or wall-mounted hooks to keep items within reach.
- Label: Labeling containers and shelves can help you stay organized and maintain order. Clear labels make it easier to identify items and return them to their proper place. This is particularly helpful in shared spaces or when storing items out of sight.
- Maintain Regularly: Organizing is an ongoing process. Set aside time regularly to tidy up and put things back in their designated places. Spending a few minutes each day to maintain order will prevent clutter from piling up.
- Simplify and Streamline: When organizing, aim for simplicity. Minimize the number of items you own, streamline your possessions, and simplify your routines. The fewer items you have, the easier it is to keep them organized.
- Prioritize Functionality: Consider the functionality of your space and arrange items accordingly. Keep frequently used items within easy reach and store seasonal or less-used items in less accessible areas.
- Purge: Items in the home that are no longer necessary and can still be used, consider donating to one of your local places so that others can make use of them!
Organizing can take a lot of stress out of your day to day knowing where everything is and where to find it. Though it can seem a monumental task at first, once you’re on the right road its easy to maintain. Any upgrades you get, always make sure to swap out the prior one. No reason for two of the same thing after all! Now get out there and have fun with a peace of mind.