Frequently Asked Questions
Maid to Shine knows that finding a career is hard work. We want you to be well informed of our hiring process and our company.
How Often do You Hire?
Maid to Shine is a growing company. You may have noticed that we post our hiring opportunities often. We rarely hire to replace current team members (we hardly have anyone leave), however because we are growing we hire consistently. Our average hiring cycle is about one new Team Member every month.
Will I get a Phone Call?
We appreciate everyone one that applies. We know that you took your time to fill out an application and we will take careful consideration to review everyone. Because of the benefits and work environment Maid to Shine offers, we receive hundreds of applications a week for only 1 or 2 positions. The hiring manager reviews all applications. The hiring manager will then only call the top qualified candidates. If you do not receive a call within one month of your application, we suggest you put in another application to let us know that you are still interested.
Do you really pay $15-$17 an hour?
No tricks, no hoops, we really pay what we say we do. The first week of training will be minimum wage, then you go into making what we promised. Every person we have ever hired full time has averaged more then $450 a week when we look at their pay at their 90 day review.
Do you really work full time?
Our full time is between 32 and 36 hours a week. Why not 40 hours you ask??? Have you tried cleaning houses for 8+ hours ever day? You would be burned out! We try to average you 7 hours a day 5 days a week. You can also volunteer to work on Saturdays if you wish (no pressure to work extra if you don’t want to, it is just for you). Because we build your clients, it does take a little bit to get you to 32 to 36 hours. We guarantee that you will have full time by your 8th week here, however we have never had anyone take longer than 4 weeks to get to full time work. A typical tech looks like this: week 1 full time training, week 2 about 18 hours, week 3 about 25 hours, week 4 32-36 hours per week. We do not have slumps or seasons.
Who takes out the taxes?
Maid to Shine takes out our side of the taxes. In order to “save on taxes” some business try to make their people 1099 independent contractors when they are not. We do not play this game (the IRS hurts when you get this wrong!), none of our people have to pay the self employment tax.
Do you pay for gas mileage?
No, we do not pay for any gas mileage, however, we do give you a mileage tracking sheet so that you can take your business related mileage off of your taxes. Qualified mileage in 2015 was $0.575 per mile as a tax deduction. Our techs average 165 miles per week (Colorado’s average commute is 100 miles per week), so if 70 miles a week can be used for a tax deduction times 50 weeks you worked in a year, your potential tax deduction for 2015 would be $2,012.50 (70*50*$0.575). Of course ask your tax adviser to make sure you qualify for the deduction.
What kind of job advancement is there?
Every cleaning tech has the opportunity to become both a quality control manager and a training manager. We don’t put a limit on the number of people in these positions, therefore anyone can achieve these positions if they #1 want to advance, #2 have great quality, and #3 have a great attitude. Each position has its own perks including more pay.
Maid to Shine also has limited competitive positions in the office when they become available. As we grow we need more people in our office to answer phones and run the office. We are currently averaging 1-2 people per year to advance. We only hire 100% of office staff from former cleaning techs, we believe in rewarding hard work! Every person you talk to in the company has cleaned.
What holidays do I get off?
Thanksgiving, the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years day are the days we are closed for holidays. Of course any holiday that lands on Saturday or Sunday (such as Easter) we are closed anyway.
Why do You Pay so Much?
We pay more because we care about our Team Members. This is hard work and you should be paid for your hard work. Maid to Shine shares its profits with its Team Members because it is the right thing to do. Many other business’ see what they can take from their employees and as a consequence they lose their people. As Team Members, we all give together and we all make our paychecks together.
Do I need Experience?
No, we hire people with all types of cleaning experience. No matter your experience level, all of our new Team Members go through the same training. About 20% of the people we hire has experience with some type of cleaning, that means that 80% of the people here have never cleaned professionally. Maid to Shine is looking for excellent people not your experience at cleaning.
How Long is Your Hiring Process?
If you are the right fit for our team, you can get hired as soon as 1 week from submitting your application. However, our hiring process is very extensive. On average Maid to Shine takes 1 month to find our next Team Member. There are two reasons for this length of time. First, we only hire the next Team Member after the last person we hired has a full schedule. This makes sure that all of our Team Members are working full time and making $500 to $600 a week. Second, we only hire the top qualifying candidates who fit in with the rest of the team. This process takes around a month as we interview many people to find that great fit.
What does Your Hiring Process Include?
Be prepared for a lengthy process that includes:
- At least three interviews
- Reference check
- Drug test
- Background check
- Driving record
- Filling out a personal budget
Okay, Now this is weird, I have to fill out a budget???
Yes, I know it is not normal, however we are not a normal company. We care about you that is why we have you fill out a budget. Here is why. We want to be as open as possible on what is expected of you and what you should expect to us. Before we have you fill out a budget we will hand you a sheet of what we expect you to make based on our averages for the past year. Wouldn’t it be nice to know EXACTLY what you will be making instead of just empty promises?
Sometimes you don’t realize things like the cost of gas (you gotta drive to work) or the cost of day care (kids have to stay somewhere) when you are applying for a new position. This form will walk you through where your money needs to go. You are an adult and we are not here to evade your privacy. It is your budget, and you can fill it out any way you want, however for your benefit you must fill one out before you can be hired.
Tell Me About Your Benefits.
We have covered some of them already such as pay and full time work. Here is an overview of some other benefits.
- Vacation Pay – We give up to 2 weeks of paid vacation so our team members can take some time to their selves. Of course we are extremely good at giving other requested time off that is not paid, but we feel you should not have the pressure of deciding if you can take some time off or paying your bills.
- Sick Pay – People get sick, it happens. When you absolutely don’t feel like you can work but you need that money for rent, why should you have to choose. We give up to 3 sick days a year
- Birthday Pay – the most requested day off from work is a person’s birthday, so obviously this day is important to you. If it is important to you, then it is important to us. Take the day off and let us wish you a happy birthday by paying you to take this day off. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
- Tips – After training and establishing your schedule you can expect around $100 in tips a month.
- Health Care Insurance – We have full family health insurance coverage issued by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. We have 3 plans to pick from. All plans are PPO which means that it can be used world wide and allows you to choose your doctor. Maid to Shine covers 50% of the team members cost. If you wish to add any of your family members to the plan, you are responsible for 100% of their cost. The average cost to you (if you are the only one on the plan) will be around $28 and $40 per week (depending on age and the plan you pick).
- Vision Insurance – Vision is covered under our health care insurance. It does not cost anything more as long as you have our health insurance.
- Dental Insurance – Maid to Shine also has full dental insurance that covers two cleanings a year and up to 80% of your dental procedures.
- 401K – Our company voted to have a 401K retirement plan (yes we vote on things as a company!). Starting in 2018 we will have the 401k in place. Since this is new to us, we are not sure exactly what this will look like, however our best guess is that Maid to Shine will match up to 3% of your paycheck into a 401K.
- No Nights, No Weekends – Most people have worked nights or worked on the weekend, and frankly it gets tiring fast. Our biggest goal is to make a stable schedule so you can make plans. If you don’t know what your work schedule is, how are you going to plan your life outside of work? We tell you Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm not only to give you full time work, but so you can do those things that are important to you. Daycare, barbecues, movie nights, weekend trips, parties, etc. can easily be planned.
- Worry Free Days Off – Ever gotten the phone call “Jane is sick today, you need to come into work!” or “Joe never showed up, you need to come in today!”? That NEVER happens here. Everyone works the same Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm availability schedule, so there isn’t the “surprise! it was your day off, but now your working” call. Your schedule for the day may change because of a sickness, but you were coming to work anyway. So have all you days off be worry free days off!
- Extra Saturday Work – We did vote as a company to have Saturday work, however this is purely on a volunteer basis. There is zero pressure and we mean it! Some jobs have mandatory volunteering (when is anything that is mandatory volunteering?), but we purely have it available if you need some extra cash. 75% of our techs would rather have their 2 days off and I agree with them! But 25% like to make an extra couple hundred dollars every month and we want to have that available if that is you!
- Other Stuff – There are so many items to talk about, the full list of benefits are not here! Team events every month (we have done things like white water rafting, bowling, zip lining, laser tag, mini golf, and more), free financial help, monthly prizes, and provided meals are just some of the items we offer to say THANK YOU to our hard working team.
Tell Me About Your Qualifications.
- Do you have your own transportation? – Everyone drives their own car to every job, you must have your own reliable car.
- Is your vehicle properly insured for the State of Colorado? – Since you will be driving every day, you must have insurance. If you are insured in a different state other than Colorado, your insurance should still cover you in all 50 states.
- Do you have a valid Drivers License? – Again, a valid license is needed because you will be driving every day. If your license is expired or hole punched it is no longer valid.
- Can you pass a criminal background check and a full drug screen? – We take this very seriously. Not at what your past holds, but how honest you are on your application. Failure to disclose anything on a background check means that we will stop your hiring process. Our full drug test may include either hair follicle or fingernail tests. We test all drugs which are illegal or abused in the United States (including Marijuana).
- Can you provide proof that you can legally work in the United States? – Maid to Shine only hires legal persons who can work in the United States.
- Are you willing to work full time (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)? – Maid to Shine only hires full time. We know you most likely have been promised full time before and have never received it, however we truly only offer full time. You can expect to work 32 to 36 hours a week. On the same note, we do not have any part time positions available, if you are hoping to secure a part time position, it is not available.
- Are you 21 years of age or over? – We only hire people that are at least of 21 years of age or over, there is not an exception for this rule. Our insurance will not allow us to hire anyone under 21.
- Are you able to preform the tasks associated with cleaning houses including: standing for 8 hours, walking up and down stairs, bending, kneeling, and lifting 50 pounds? – You will be working very hard at physical work, you must be able do the physical work needed to complete the task.
Where do I have to drive to?
Below you can see our service area. We service within this area, so you will have to dive anywhere within this map. However, we generally keep all of your houses within 15 minutes of each other. So if you are in Monument, you should stay in Monument all day. If you are in Broadmoor, you should be in Broadmoor all day.
Do you Hire Men?
Yes, we do hire men. We have men on our staff and will continue to add male Team Members. We only hire the best person for each position. Maid to Shine is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and will not discriminate on any legally recognized basis, including, but not limited to: age, physical ability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or any other legally protected status.
What can I do to Capture Your Attention?
Be yourself! We are looking for people who are honest and trustworthy. If you try to “fake” your application we will know from our extensive hiring process. We want to get to know you, not a fake person, just tell us about you.
We are a sent free company. So if you want to impress us, come to your interviews free of smells (no perfume, smoke, or lotion smells).
The Position Sounds too Good to be True, Why?
Do not let all the information go to your head. As a Team Member, you have more responsibility than if you were an employee. Your fellow Team Mates count on you to do your job. If you fail to do your job, everyone is hurt. Since we are all in this adventure together, we win together and we lose together.